Origin and History
The regiment was raised in July 1760. It consisted of a single battalion. This battalion initially counted 4 fusilier companies of roughly 108 men. Later a fifth company was added and, in 1762, a sixth company composed of grenadiers was added bringing the regimental strength to six companies.
During the Seven Years' War, the regimental inhaber was:
- from 1760: von Völschen
Service during the War
From its creation in 1760, the regiment remained in the principality of Brunswick throughout the Seven Years' War.
To do: for the uniform table please replace all “???” with the corresponding information.
If the information is not available, indicate “n/a” in italic character.
If there was no such element, indicate “none” in italic character.
|Coat||dark blue with n/a buttons
Troopers were armed with a musket.
Officers wore uniforms similar to those of privates with the following distinction:
- a silver gorget with an inner red metal disc charged with a galloping white horse
- a silver sash interwoven with yellow
- no turnbacks on the coat
- an officer stick
Officers carried spontoons.
The officers of the grenadier companies wore tricornes and carried spontoons since 1754.
NCOs carried halberds (Kurzgewehr).
The drummers wore a dark blue coat with the collar, cuff, lapel and turnback the same as the troopers. The swallow nests on the shoulders were white while white lace edged the front of the coat.
The drum had a brass base carrying the Brunswick coat of arms with a rim decorated with diagonal stripes (unknown colours) and with white cords.
Ortenburg, Georg von, Braunschweigisches Militär, Elm Verlag, Cremlingen, 1987
Pengel & Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press