Origin and History
The frigate was built by A. Sutherland (А. Сютерланд) at the Solombalskaya dockyard in Archangelsk. The keel was laid down on June 5 1753 (May 25 old style, abbreviated O.S. in this article). The frigate was launched on May 7 1754 (April 26 O.S.).
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- in 1756: Captain T. Makenzi (Т. Макензи)
- in 1757: Captain A. Valrond (А. Валронд)
The frigate sank in the Baltic Sea in 1757.
Service during the War
From September to October 1756, the frigate cruised in the Baltic Sea with a squadron searching for Prussian ships.
From May to September 1757, the frigate was the flagship of the squadron who blockaded Memel. On October 14 (October 3 O.S.), she left Revel, sailing for Kronshtadt. Near Aegna Island, she was caught in a violent storm. Furious waves opened a breach and the frigate sank, 14 people were lost.
The design of most Russian frigates of this period still adhered tightly to the Shipbuilding Regulations issued by Peter the Great in 1723.
|Length at keel||28.80 m (94' 6")|
|Length at gun deck||35.97 m (118')|
|Width||9.60 m (31' 6”)|
|Depth in Hold||4.27 m (14')|
|Displacement||no information found yet|
Ministry of the Sea - Material for the History of the Russian Navy, vol 10, St. Petersburg, 1883 in a collection of 17 volumes published from 1865 to 1904
Veselago, Fedosey Fedorovich: List of Russian Naval Vessels from 1668 to 1869, St. Petersburg: Ministry of the Sea, 1872
Chernyshev, A.A.: Russian Sailing Fleet, Vol.1, 1997
Shirokorad, A. B.: 200 лет парусного флота (200 Years of Sailing Fleet)
Roman Shlygin for the initial version of this article