Wallis Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Wallis Infantry

Origin and History

Grenadier of Wallis Infantry in 1762 - Copyright: Franco Saudelli

The regiment was raised in 1619 for Rudolph Baron Teuffenbach. In 1620, it took part in the Battle of the Weissen Berg near Prague. In 1631, it was at the capture of Magdeburg and at the Battle of Leipzig. In 1632, it fought in the Battle of Lützen and in 1634, in the Battle of Nordlingen.

In 1659, the regiment campaigned against the Swedes in Pomerania. In 1674, it took part in the Battle of Ensheim.

In 1673, Friedrich Ulrich Baron von Knigge became proprietor of the regiment.

In 1684, Philipp Emerich Count von Metternich became Chef of the regiment, a title which he retained till his death in 1698.

In 1685, during the Great Turkish War, the regiment took part in the siege of Neuhäusel and in the Battle of Gran; in 1686, in the siege of Ofen; in 1687 in the Battle of Mohacs and in the expedition in Slavonia; in 1688, in the storming of Belgrade. In 1691, half the regiment occupied Lippa. In 1697, it fought in the Battle of Zenta.

In 1698, the regiment contributed soldiers for the creation of the Thierheimischen Regiment. The same year, Heinrich Tobias Baron Hasslingen succeeded to Count von Metternich at the head of the regiment.

In 1702, during the War of the Spanish Succession, a battalion of the regiment was sent to Italy as reinforcements. In 1704, the regiment contributed 5 companies for the creation of Wendt Infantry. By the beginning of 1709, the regiment was stationed in Hungary. In 1710, it took part in the sieges of Neuhäusel and of the Castle of Erlau. In 1712, it campaigned in Flanders, taking part in the siege of Le Quesnoy.

In 1717, Heinrich Wilhelm Count von Welczeck became proprietor of the regiment.

During the War of the Polish Succession, in 1734, the regiment was at Sorbolo and took part in the siege of Philippsburg.

In 1739 Ignaz Baron von Haslingen became proprietor of the regiment (he died the same year).

As per the Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759 and Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760, the regiment counted 4 battalions (2 grenadier coys and 16 fusilier coys) for a total of 2,300 men. This was the administrative organisation of the regiment. However, the tactical organisation differed: 2 field fusilier battalions, each of 6 companies; 2 grenadier companies (usually converged with grenadiers from other battalions into an ad hoc unit); and 1 garrison battalion of 4 companies (see Austrian Line Infantry Organisation for more details).

During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:

  • since August 27 1739 till 1774: Franz Wenzel Count von Wallis

During the Seven Years' War, its colonel-commander was:

  • 1759: Count Brown
  • 1760 to 1762: Michael Anton Ignaz Count von Wallis (son of the Chef of the regiment)

Regimental numbers were introduced only in 1769 when this regiment was designated as "I.R. 11".

Service during the War

In September 1756, the regiment was part of the Austrian relief army assembled in Bohemia under field-marshal Browne to repel the Prussian invasion of Saxony. On October 1, the regiment took part in the Battle of Lobositz where it was deployed in the first line of the centre under General C. Kollowrat in the brigade of General Macquire.

On May 6 1757, during the Prussian invasion of Bohemia, two battalions of the regiment took part in the Battle of Prague where they were deployed in Count Batthyanyi's Brigade, in the second line of the left wing of infantry under Baron Kheul. On November 22, one battalion of the regiment took part in the Battle of Breslau where it was deployed in Buttler's Brigade, in the second line of the infantry centre under Baron Kheul. On December 5 at the Battle of Leuthen, one battalion of the regiment was deployed in Starhemberg's Division in the second line of the infantry right wing under Kheul.

By August 2 1758, the regiment was part of the reserve of the main Austrian army under the command of Daun near Jarmeritz. Daun was following up the Prussian army retiring through Bohemia after the failure of the Prussian invasion of Moravia. On October 10, the regiment took part in the Battle of Hochkirch where one of its battalion was deployed in the second line of the right column and another in the second line of the left column of Daun's main army, directly south of Hochkirch.

By mid August 1759, the regiment was part of Buccow's Corps posted in Lusatia. On September 2, it took part in the Combat of Sorau.

On June 23 1760, the regiment fought in the Battle of Landeshut where it formed part of the column supporting the attacks of Loudon and Müffling. During the engagement, the Prussian corps of Fouqué was almost entirely captured. On August 15, the regiment took part in the Battle of Liegnitz where it was deployed on the right wing of the second line and suffered heavy casualties.

To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762

Uniform

For the moment we have very few information on the uniform in 1756, at the outbreak of the war. Most of our references describe the uniform in 1762. However, Muhsfeldt mentions that, in 1756-57, the coat was white lined white, and the waistcoat and breeches were white.

Privates

Uniform in 1762 - Source: Kronoskaf
Uniform in 1762
as per the Bautzener Handschrift

completed with other sources where necessary
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced white with a white fastener and a small white button on the left side; no cockade; white pompoms in the lateral cornes
Grenadier bearskin with a poppy red bag probably laced white and a white tassel
Neck stock one red and one black (for parades the regimental commanders agreed before on the colour of the neckstocks)
Coat white lined white with 3 white buttons under the right lapel and 1 white button in the small of the back on each side
Collar none
Shoulder Straps white fastened by a white button (left shoulder only)
Lapels poppy red with 7 white buttons (1-3-3)
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 white buttons
Cuffs poppy red with 3 white buttons
Turnbacks white
Waistcoat white with 2 rows of small white buttons (3-3-3) and with horizontal pockets, each with 3 white buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters one pair of black (for winter) and one pair of white gaiters (for summer and parade)
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt white
Waistbelt white with a brass buckle
Cartridge Box black with a small brass plate carrying the initials “MT”
Bayonet Scabbard black with brass fittings
Scabbard black (grenadiers only)
Footgear black shoes


Troopers were armed with a musket (Model 1745 for fusiliers, Model 1754 for grenadiers). Grenadiers carried a sabre while fusiliers carried only a bayonet.

NCOs

no information found yet

Officers

The officers wore the same uniform as the privates with the following exceptions:

  • tricorne laced gold with a white and green cockade
  • black neckstock
  • no turnbacks
  • yellow and black silk sash

Senior officers carried sticks identifying their rank:

  • lieutenant: bamboo stick without knob
  • captain: long rush stick with a bone knob
  • major: long rush stick with a silver knob and a small silver chain
  • lieutenant-colonel: long rush stick with a larger silver knob without chain
  • colonel: long rush stick with a golden knob

Sergeants carried a halberd and a wooden stick.

Corporals carried a halberd.

Musicians

As per a regulation of 1755, musicians were now distinguished from troopers only by poppy red swallow nests on the shoulders.

The drum had a brass barrel decorated with black flames at the bottom and with a black double headed Eagle on a yellow field. Rims were decorated with red and white diagonal stripes. The bandolier was white.

Colours

All German infantry regiments carried identical colours: a white Leibfahne (colonel) and yellow Regimentsfahne. The hand painted colours were made of silk and measured Size 178 cm x 127 cm. The 260 cm long flagpoles had golden finial and were decorated with black and yellow spirals of cloth.

The colonel colour was carried by the first battalion.

Colonel flag (Leibfahne):

  • field: white
  • border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
  • obverse (right): the Immaculate Mother of God (which had been declared the patroness of the army by kaiser Ferdinand III) on a cloud, crushing a snake under her foot and surrounded by rays
  • reverse (left): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
Leibfahne – Source: Frédéric Aubert

Regimental flags (Regimentsfahne):

  • field: yellow
  • border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
  • obverse (right): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
  • reverse (left): unarmed and crowned Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Hungaria and Bohemia on a shield and the initials M on the left wing and T on the right
Regimentsfahne – Source: Frédéric Aubert

In fact, the situation on the field was slightly more complex than this, since colours were usually replaced only when worn out. It is fairly possible that some regiment who had been issued colours of the 1743 pattern were still carrying them at the beginning of the Seven Years' War. For more details, see Austrian Line Infantry Colours.

References

This article contains texts from the following sources, which are now in the public domain:

  • Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, pp. 17-18

Other sources

Dihm, Dr. Hermann; Oesterreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Klio

Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979

Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759

Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760

Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Hausmann, Friedrich, Die Feldzeichen der Truppen Maria Theresias, Schriften des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums, vol. 3, Vienna: 1967

Knötel, Herbert d.J.; Brauer, Hans M.: Heer und Tradition / Heeres-Uniformbogen (so-called “Brauer-Bogen”), Berlin 1926-1962, Österreich-Ungarn – 1756-63

Muhsfeldt, Th.; Abzeichenfarben der K. und K. Regimenter zu Fuss im Jahre 1757 und früher, in Mitteilungen zur Geschichte des militärischen Tracht, No. 12, 1904

Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989

Seidel, Paul; Nochmals österreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Clio

Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgments

User:Zahn for gathering most of the information about this regiment