Origin and History
The ship was built by Peirson Lock at the Plymouth dockyard from 1730 and launched on October 25 1733.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the ship served in the Mediterranean in 1742. In 1745, she formed part of the squadron who escorted 13 merchantmen to America.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in the British service
- 1756: Captain Molyneux Shuldham
- in the French service
- no information available yet
The ship was broken up in 1761.
Service during the War
On December 21 1755, the ship was detached, by Commodore Thomas Frankland, to cruise in the neighbourhood of Martinique where she took several prizes.
In 1756, shortly after reaching her station, the ship began to be very sickly. As, however, the sickness began to decrease, and as there was no information of any French ships of force being in those waters, Captain Shuldham resolved to continue his cruise. On March 11 at daybreak, three sail were sighted, and, they being obviously of superior force, and the private signal being unanswered, the Warwick bore away under a press of sail. The sail were in fact a small French squadron consisting of the Prudent (74) (Captain d'Aubigny) and the frigates Atalante (32) (Captain du Chaffault) and Zéphir (30), then on their way out from France under the command of Captain d'Aubigny. The Warwick was a dull sailer, had less than 300 men fit for service, and was so crank that she could rarely use her lower deck guns. As there was a heavy sea running, she was unable to use them and she had to rely almost entirely on the 9-pdrs of her upper deck and quarter-deck. The Atalante (32) was the first to come up with the chase, and, hanging on her quarter, out of reach of her weather broadside, kept up a galling fire. The wind shifted in a hard squall; both ships were taken aback; and before the Warwick, whose rigging was much cut, could pay off her head, the Prudent (74) drew close up and opened fire. Shuldham ordered the great guns to play upon the Prudent (74) only, and the small-arm men to keep up their fire on the Atalante (32); but it was still impossible to use the lower deck guns, the ship being half swamped; and after half an hour more, being defenceless and unmanageable, she struck her flag. The Warwick was then was incorporated into the French Marine Royale. Shuldham remained a prisoner of war for two years, and on his release was adjudged by the court-martial, held to inquire into the loss, to have done his duty.
In March 1758, the ship was part of an important French squadron (5 ships of the line and 6 or 7 frigates) being fitted out at Rochefort to escort, from the nearby Isle d'Aix, a fleet of 40 transports with 3,000 troops for America. On April 4, the squadron was attacked by a British squadron under the command of Sir Edward Hawke. The French warships escaped but several merchantmen ran ashore.
To do: more details for the campaigns from 1759 to 1761
On January 24 1761, the ship was recaptured by the Royal Navy while serving in the Mediterranean. She lost 14 men killed and 30 wounded in this action and suffered damages beyond repair. She was broken up later the same year.
|Length||144 ft (43.89 m)|
|Width||39 ft (11.89 m)|
|Depth||16 ft 5 in (5.0 m)|
|Displacement||951 tons (966.3 metric tons)|
This article contains texts from the following book which is now in the public domain:
- Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 290
Blasco, Manuel, HBMS Warwick (1733), 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
- HMS Warwick (1733)
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.