Origin and History
The brig-sloop was built by Adam Hayes at Chatham dockyard and launched on May 24 1754.
During the Seven Years' War, the fireship was under the command of:
- in 1759: commander Hugh Bromedge
The brig-sloop was sold on August 15 1781.
Service during the War
On July 2 1759, the sloop was part of the squadron of rear-admiral George Brydges Rodney who sailed from St. Helen's to destroy the flat-bottomed boats and the supplies which had been collected at Le Havre for the projected invasion of England. On July 4 at sunrise, Rodney began the bombardment of Le Havre and of the flat-bottomed boats. The bombardment lasted for 52 hours until July 6 at 8:00 AM and 1,900 shells and 1,150 carcasses were fired on the town. Le Havre burnt furiously for 6 hours despite the continual efforts of several hundred men to extinguish the fire. This attack totally destroyed any French preparations in this town for the invasion of England. Rodney, with some of his frigates, remained off the port of Le Havre for the rest of the year, and captured numerous prizes.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||not available|
Blasco, Manuel, Unrated 1714-1792, 3 Decks Wiki
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.