Origin and History
The regiment was formed in the Summer of 1758. Initially, it was not considered as a regular line infantry regiment and was known as the 2nd Neues Bataillon (New Battalion) rather than by the name of its colonel.
Exceptionally, this regiment was organised in five companies of 200 men for total strength of 1,000 men.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhaber was:
- from 1758: Major Dietrich Ernst von Wrede (promoted to lieutenant-colonel in 1759; to colonel in 1762; retired in 1764)
In 1763, the regiment was combined with Ahefeldt (13A) and its establishment was standardized.
Service during the War
In October 1758, after the defeat of Lutterberg, the regiment remained at Einbeck as part of a corps under the command of the Prince of Ysemburg.
In March 1759, during the Allied spring offensive in Western Germany, the regiment was attached to the corps of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick. During the first half of the year, the regiment formed part of the Allied army of Ferdinand of Brunswick. It was attached to Linstrow's Brigade in the second line of the infantry centre. On April 13, it took part in the Battle of Bergen where it formed part of the second column under the Prince von Ysenburg who was a rallying point for Hessian resistance against the French. He fell leading the repeated assaults up a steep slope against the abattis situated around the village. The French units in Bergen had been strengthened by a reserve who blunted these attacks. Finally, after repeated attempts to storm the village of Bergen, the Hanoverian and Hessian troops withdrew. In this affair, Wrede, the chef of the regiment was wounded. In June, the regiment was part of Imhoff's Corps operating in Hesse. It later took part in the siege of Münster before taking up its winter-quarters in Albersloh.
On July 10 1760, the regiment was part of the Prince von Anhalt's Reserve at the Combat of Corbach. This reserve did not take part in the engagement.
In January 1761, the regiment set off from Northeim to reinforce Kielmansegg’s Corps at Lindau. On November 5, the regiment was at the cannonade of Dujen an der Hufe not far from Einbeck
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||white with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in red, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: white field; centre device consisting of the Arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Colours: red field; centre device consisting of a marble altar, on which rests a drawn sword, in the middle of an archway decorated with two laurel wreaths; the motto PATRIAE VINDEX ET ULTOR above
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Wissel, Friedrich v. and Georg von Wissel: Geschichte der Errichtung sämmtlicher Chur-Braunschweig-Lüneburgischen Truppen, sammt ihren Fahnen, Standarten und Pauken-Devisen ..., Zelle, 1786, pp. 731-736
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer, Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.