Yagudiil (32)

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 06:42, 11 December 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> Russian Navy >> Yagudiil (32)

Origin and History

The frigate was built by I. V. James (И.В. Ямес) at the Solombalskaya dockyard in Archangelsk. The keel was laid down on October 11 1745 (September 30 O.S. old style). The frigate was launched on June 1 1746 (May 21 O.S.).

During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:

  • in 1756: Captain A. E. Shelting (А .Е. Шельтинг)
  • in 1757: Captain S. Volotskoy (С. Волоцкой)
  • in 1758: Captain S. M. Nazimov (С.М. Назимов)
  • in 1759: Captain V. Shmarov (В. Шмаров)

The frigate was broken up in Kronshtadt in 1760.

Service during the War

From May to August 1757, the frigate was part of a squadron commanded by Z. D. Mishukov (З.Д. Мишуков) and took part in the blockade of Memel.

From July to September 1758, the frigate was part of the Russo-Swedish fleet who cruised at the entry of the Baltic between Danish Zealand and the Swedish coast to prevent any action of the British Navy. She sailed to Amager Island to block access to the Øresund.


Sketch of a typical 32-gun frigate according to the Shipbuilding Regulations – Source: Collection of Roman Shlygin

The design of most Russian frigates of this period still adhered tightly to the Shipbuilding Regulations issued by Peter the Great in 1723.

Technical specifications
Guns 32
Lower gun deck 20 x 12-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Quarterdeck and Forecastle 12 x 6-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Crew 200 men
Length at keel 28.80 m (94' 6")
Length at gun deck 35.97 m (118')
Width 9.60 m (31' 6”)
Depth in Hold 4.27 m (14')
Displacement no information found yet


Shirokorad, A. B.: 200 лет парусного флота (200 years of sailing fleet)



Roman Shlygin for the initial version of this article