Origin and History
The ship was built at Plymouth and launched in 1753.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1757: captain Hugh Pigot
- in 1759: captain Vincent Pearce
The ship was broken up in 1772.
Service during the War
In 1757, the ship was sent to America to reinforce admiral Holbourne's squadron which was planning an expedition against Louisbourg. The ship joined Holbourne in mid August by which time the enterprise had been abandoned. Nevertheless, the reinforced squadron cruised off Louisbourg till September 25 when it was shattered by a most terrible storm. It then returned to Great Britain in a very bad condition.
At the beginning of 1758, the ship was part of the fleet who assembled at Portsmouth under the command of admiral Edward Boscawen for a new expedition against Louisbourg. On February 19, this fleet set sail for Halifax and finally arrived there on May 9. On May 28, the fleet sailed from Halifax and arrived in sight of Louisbourg on June 1. Throughout the siege of Louisbourg, the fleet actively supported the British army and the fortress finally surrendered on July 26.
In January 1759, the ship was among the reinforcements sent to India under rear-admiral Samuel Cornish. They consisted of 3 ships of the line: the Lenox (74), Cornish's flagship; the Duc d'Aquitaine (64); and the York (60); along with the Falmouth (50) and 3 East Indiamen. On October 17, on his way to Bombay, vice-admiral George Pocock was joined by these reinforcements.
To do campaigns from 1760 to 1762
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 202-205, 233-235
Castex, Jean-Claude, Dictionnaire des batailles terrestres franco-anglaises de la Guerre de Sept Ans, Presse de l'université Laval, Québec: 2006, pp. 319-321
Phillip, Michael, Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.