Origin and History
In 1760, during the Seven Years' War, some grenadiers from Zastrow Infantry were converged with grenadiers from the militia units into a single battalion counting four companies. Each grenadier company counted 141 men.
During the Seven Years' War, the battalion was commanded by:
- 1760: von Wittorf
- 1761: von Rothenburg
- 1761: von Koppelow
- 1762: von Appelboom
Service during the War
In June 1759, the battalion was part of the Allied main army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick.
On July 10 1760, the battalion was part of Lieutenant-General Waldegrave's Reserve at the Combat of Corbach. This reserve did not take part in the engagement. On July 31 1760, the battalion took part in the Battle of Warburg where it was deployed in the first line of the centre between Ossendorf and Menne.
To do: campaigns from 1761 to 1762
The grenadiers wore the uniform of their own regiments. For details about these uniforms, please refer to the articles related to Zastrow Infantry and the various militia units.
The converged grenadier battalions did not carry any colour.
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Schirmer; Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.