From Project Athinai
You are here: Main Page >> Areopagos
|The Vicinities of the Areopagos!|
The term Areopagos means "hill of Ares". It designates a small limestone hill west of the Akropolis. When the Persians invaded Attica in 480 BC, they installed their camp on this hill.
During our period of reference (421 BC), the west and south slopes of the Areopagos were densely populated with modest houses consisting of two to eight rooms around a small courtyard with a central well. The hill proper was the meeting place of the Council of the Areopagos, the most ancient law court of Athens. A council house stood somewhere on the hill.
The 1,000 Scythian archers bought by the state to assume police duties in Athens had their encampment on the Areopagos.
There was a narrow valley between the Areopagos and the Hill of the Nymph drained by the west branch of the Great Drain. The lower part of the valley was occupied by modest houses probably belonging to artisans and some marble sculptors. These houses had walls of rubble masonry and floors of clay.
American School of Classical Studies at Athens; The Athenian Agora: A Guide to the Excavation and Museum, 1990
Flacelière, Robert, La vie quotidienne en Grèce au siècle de Périclès, Hachette, 1959
Hurwit, Jeffrey M.; The Acropolis in the Age of Pericles, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004
Travlos, John, Pictorial dictionary of Ancient Athens, Books that matter, New York, 1971