From Project Athinai
A simple Propylon connected the Chalkotheke terrace to the Processionnal Way traversing the Akropolis. This terrace, fitted out around 435 BC, was delimited by a wall along the Processionnal Way on the north, the [[ Fortification Wall|Akropolis Wall]] on the south, the Great Steps of the Parthenon on the east and the east wall of the Sanctuary of Artemis Brauronia on the west.
The Chalkotheke (Bronze Depot) proper was a large arsenal to store armors, weapons, siege and even naval equipment. It was also used as a repository for treasures and as a warehouse for various objects (iron pebbles, empty bronze chests, clothing, broken iron objects, etc.). This long and wide building, resting against the Akropolis south wall, had five or six interior columns to support its roof.
The foundations of the building were of poros and were 2.60 m thick on the east side and 1.50 m thick on the north side. The building is not perfectly rectangular. The south wall was partly bonded to the Citadel Wall while the west wall rested on a part of the east wall of the Sanctuary of Artemis Brauronia. The north wall was some 41.5 m wide, the south wall some 43 m wide, and the east and west walls some 14 m wide.
A stoa with 18 Doric columns was added to the front of the building. Its northeastern corner cut into the monumental stairway of the Parthenon. Spoils of war were probably exhibited in this stoa. Most authors agree that the stoa was built after our period of reference (421 BC), probably around 375 BC.
Brouskari, Maria; The Monuments of the Acropolis, Athens: Archaeological Receipts Fund, 2001
Hill, Ida Thallon; The Ancient City of Athens – Its Topography and Monuments, London: Methuen & Co. Ltd., 1953
Hurwit, Jeffrey M.; The Acropolis in the Age of Pericles, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004
Travlos, John, Pictorial dictionary of Ancient Athens, Books that matter, New York, 1971, p. 196