From Project Athinai
During the 6th century BC, the Athenians created three gymnasia outside the city walls. These gymnasia were intended for the military training of the ephebes. The Lykeion (Lyceum) was one of these three famous gymnasia.
During our period of reference (421 BC), the Lykeion was still a gymnasium within a sanctuary dedicated to Lycian Apollo. It was located to the east of Athens, not far from the Diochares Gate, near the source of the Eridanos and the fountain of Panops.
The dromos (racetrack) probably measured two stades (some 370 m). During the Classical period, the baths were probably locate on the same spot as the Roman baths built later.
In 335 BC, Aristotle inaugurated a regular philosophical school in this precinct.
Flacelière, Robert, La vie quotidienne en Grèce au siècle de Périclès, Hachette, 1959
Travlos, John, Pictorial dictionary of Ancient Athens, Books that matter, New York, 1971, p. 345