Pandroseion

From Project Athinai

Jump to: navigation, search

You are here: Main Page >> Akropolis >> Pandroseion

Description

Reconstruction of the Pandroseion by Kronoskaf - Textured 3D Model (work in progress)
Enlarge
Reconstruction of the Pandroseion by Kronoskaf - Textured 3D Model (work in progress)

According to the legends, Pandrosos was King Kekrops' daughter. Her cult on the Akropolis was very ancient. The main feature of this sanctuary was an L-shaped Ionic stoa along its north and west walls. Its floor was of marble. This stoa was probably built around 465 BC. The sacred olive tree of Athena was also located within its precinct as well as an altar to Zeus Herkeios. An archaic wall formed its southern limit.

The entrance of the precinct was located at the east end of the north wall.

Later Features

The sanctuary and its buildings were completely remodeled during the building of the Erechtheion.

References

Brouskari, Maria; The Monuments of the Acropolis, Athens: Archaeological Receipts Fund, 2001

Hill, Ida Thallon; The Ancient City of Athens – Its Topography and Monuments, London: Methuen & Co. Ltd., 1953

Hurwit, Jeffrey M.; The Acropolis in the Age of Pericles, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004

Views
Personal tools