1759 - Swedish campaign in Pomerania

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1759 - Swedish campaign in Pomerania

The campaign lasted from August to November 1759

Description of Events

Prussian Winter Offensive

At the end of 1758, Lieutenant-General Dohna, the Prussian general in charge of this theatre of operation, planned an offensive against the Swedish forces (about 15,000 men) in Pomerania. His own army consisted of 26 bns and 55 sqns.

In the last days of December 1758, Dohna made several attempts to cross the Trebel and Recknitz rivers.

On the night of December 31 to January 1, 1759, Dohna’s Army marched from Sülze (present-day Bad Sülze) to Ribnitz.

On January 1, 1759

  • Prussians
    • In the morning, Dohna’s artillery opened against the entrenchment protecting the passage at Damgarten which was defended by 250 men. After a bombardment of 30 minutes, the Swedes capitulated. Dohna's vanguard passed the Recknitz River. The road to Stralsund was now open.
  • Swedes
    • Lieutenant-General Lantingshausen assembled his army near Grimmen to offer battle if ever the Prussians entered into Swedish Pomerania. To hide his retreat, he let 1,300 men to occupy Demmin and another 1,400 to hold Anklam.

On January 2

  • Prussians
    • Dohna sent forward Major-General von Diericke at the head of his vanguard from Damgarten to Richtenberg.
    • Dohna’s main body remained idle neat Damgarten.
    • Lieutenant-General von Manteuffel was informed of the successful passage of the Recknitz by Dohna’s Army at Damgarten.
  • Swedes
    • Early in the day, when Lantingshausen was informed of the capitulation of the defenders of Damgarten, he sent small detachments to Steinhagen, Elmenhorst and Richtenberg to protect his line of communication with Stralsund.
  • Engagement of Steinhagen
    • The Prussian vanguard surprised the Swedish defenders of Steinhagen during a heavy snowstorm. After a valiant resistance, the Swedes retired to Seemühl where they took position. Diericke managed to occupy Franzburg and Richtenberg before the arrival of Swedish troops. The latter then took position near Abtshagen.

On January 3

  • Prussians
    • Dohna’s main body set off from Damgarten and marched in the direction of Grimmen where he thought that the Swedish army had taken position. Dohna only reached Tribohm. From there he sent reinforcements to Diericke and instructed him to advance on Grimmen and Hohenwarth.
    • Manteuffel’s Corps forced the passage of the Peene at Stolpe, heading westwards.
  • Swedes
    • Lantingshausen’s Army converged in two columns on Steinhagen, forcing the Prussians to retire to Richtenberg. The Swedes took position near Steinhagen and Elmenhorst, their outposts were very near Diericke’s posts.
    • The detachment posted at Abtshagen received reinforcements.

On January 4

  • Prussians
    • Manteuffel reached the region of Schlatkow and Gützkow.
  • Swedes
    • Lantingshausen and his generals decided to offer battle. If the Prussians did not accept combat, the Swedes would retire to Rügen. They feared that if they remained in their current positions, the Prussians could easily break through their weak defensive outposts along the Peene (in fact they had already done it).
    • Lantingshausen was informed that Prussian troops had appeared in front of Grimmen and driven back the detachment posted at Abtshagen. Since his reconnaissances failed completely, he postponed the planned attack against Richtenberg because he feared a counter-attack on his flank from Abtshagen. Instead, he recaptured Abtshagen.

On January 5

  • Prussians
    • Manteuffel’s vanguard, under Major-General von Platen, reached Greifswald where it effected an unplanned junction with Diericke at the head of Dohna’s vanguard.
    • Lieutenant-Colonel Hauss, who had reoccupied the Usedom Island and encircled Fort Peenemünde after the retreat of Pechlin’s Swedish force, crossed to Wolgast which the Swedes had evacuated.

On January 6

  • Prussians
    • Dohna’s main body reached Grimmen where it effected a junction with Manteuffel’s Corps.
  • Swedes
    • In the evening, Lantingshausen retired unmolested towards Stralsund.

On January 7, Lantingshausen began to transport his troops from Stralsund to the Island of Rügen. The Swedish Army was now deployed between Lake Krümmenhagen (present-day Niepars) and the Baltic.

On January 9, Dohna isolated Stralsund with a defensive line extending from Brandshagen, by Pütte to Parow.

On January 10

  • Prussians
    • Dohna detached Lieutenant-General Wenzel Anton von Kanitz to capture the fortified city of Anklam in a joint Prussian attack to retake some important strongholds on the Prussian border with Swedish Pomerania. The 2 Freigrenadier coys (Freigrenadier Hüllesem and Freigrenadier Wussow) from Stettin (present-day Szczecin/PL) were already observing the place.
    • Dohna also detached Lieutenant-General von Manteuffel’s Corps to Demmin to dislodge Swedish detachments from this place. The place was defended by 1,200 men with only a few light artillery pieces.
  • Swedes
    • Lieutenant-Colonel Count Johan Sparre af Söfdeborg was posted at Anklam with 1,400 men and 36 artillery pieces. He was expecting reinforcement by a party of Green Dragoons (maybe Bohusläns Dragoons) led by Captain Karl Hård. However, the dragoons got surrounded by Prussian troops on the road from Wolgast to Anklam.

On January 11

  • Prussians
    • Kanitz invested Anklam.. He summoned Sparre, threatening to conduct reprisals against Swedish towns in Swedish Pomerania. Sparre refused to surrender, answering that it was too early to start to speak about capitulation.
    • Manteuffel invested Demmin.

On January 13, Kanitz began the bombardment of Anklam.

On January 15

  • Prussians
    • Kanitz’s troops stormed the Schülerberge but Sparre had already withdrawn his cannon from this hill when he had realised that the garrison of Anklam was to weak to defend it.
    • Manteuffel’s four batteries (mainly 12-pdr guns and howitzers obtained from the arsenal of Stettin) opened a concentric fire on the Fortress of Demmin.

By January 17, the Prussian battery on the Nonnenberg had made a gap in the Swedish defences around Demmin. The Prussians then launched an amphibious attack and drove the Swedes out of their outpost on the Meyenkrebs side of the Peene.

On January 18, short of ammunition, Colonel Lillienberg surrendered the town of Demmin. His troops were allowed to march out of the town with their colours, fifers and drummers before becoming prisoners of war.

By January 21, the Prussians had brought some very heavy guns from Stettin (24 pdrs and heavy 12-pdrs) for the siege of Anklam. Sparre had only two 12-pdrs, four 6-pdrs, two mortars and two howitzers and some lighter 3-pdrs at his disposal.

On January 21, the Prussian artillery opened a continuous bombardment on Anklam. Sparre tried to gain time by negotiations but finally capitulated after a fierce defence against the far superior Prussian artillery. He obtained free passage to Sweden. Three Swedish infantry regiments were taken prisoners.

On January 23, Major-General von Platen left Dohna’s Army with his dragoon regiment (Alt-Platen Dragoons and marched to Eastern Pomerania to join the Prussian Observation Corps operating there.

On January 27, Dohna transferred his headquarters from Greifswald westwards to Rostock so that he could better oversee requisitions of provisions and horses, monetary contributions and recruitment of troops in Mecklenburg. King Frederick II had sent Major-General von Stutterheim to assist Dohna whose health was still shaky.

By the end of January 1759, to the exception of the Rügen Island, of the Fortress of Stralsund and of Fort Peenemünde, the whole of Swedish Pomerania was now occupied by the Prussians. However, Fort Peenemünde on the Prussian island of Usedom could be used as a good defensive position and as a base for the Swedish galleys, but also as a place to ferry troops to the island.

Dohna had established his winter-quarters in Swedish Pomerania, protected by the troops encircling Stralsund. He had confided the blockade of Stralsund to Lieutenant-General von Schorlemmer. Meanwhile, Prussian garrison troops sent from Stettin watched Fort Peenemünde. Dohna could not consider to undertake a formal siege of the Fortress of Stralsund, lacking a sufficient number of heavy siege guns and, above all, ammunition.

Frederick thought that Dohna’s Army would soon be needed elsewhere, to reinforce Prince Heinrich in Saxony, or to come to the relief of the Fortress of Colberg (present-day Kołobrzeg) in Farther Pomerania. In both cases, only a small Prussian force under Lieutenant-General von Manteuffel would remain in Swedish Pomerania. Dohna wanted to use the short period of time available to rest his troops, and to complete and re-equip them.

Operations during Winter-Quarters

During the winter of 1758-59, some Prussian fishing boats and small merchant ships had been converted into military vessels to protect the mouth of the Oder. This small flotilla was based in Stettin (present-day Szczecin in Poland).

Winter was particularly mild and the waters near Stralsund did not freeze, allowing the Swedish Army Fleet (galleys and prams) to cruise unhindered.

Early in the morning of February 22, provisions becoming insufficient in Stralsund, a strong detachment of the garrison of Stralsund made a northwestwards sortie to collect provisions. It pushed the Prussian troops guarding this sector back to Mohrdorf. However, the Prussians were able to hold this position until the arrival of reinforcements from the neighbouring posts. Nevertheless, the Swedes had time to load 51 wagons with provisions and to retire into the fortress.

Throughout February, unrest had grown in the Duchy of Mecklenburg, which had been submitted to heavy contributions of provisions, money, horses and men by Prussian troops. There were still troops of the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Army quartered in Schwerin and Dömitz. Given the great need for men for the Prussian army, it was tempting to forcefully enroll these troops in Prussian regiments.

In mid-March, Dohna gave orders to Major-General von Kleist to make himself master of the city of Schwerin. Kleist set off from Rostock with a small detachment.

The Mecklenburger General von Zülow had been careful and had quartered the largest part of the garrison of Schwerin, which counted approx. 800 men, in the island of Kaninchenwerder on Lake Schwerin. There, care had been taken to provide accommodation and provisions to these troops even in the event of a long blockade. Zülow had kept only a small detachment in Schwerin.

On March 14, Dohna re-established his headquarters at Greifswald. He was still sick and asked Frederick for the authorisation to go to sojourn in Berlin to recover.

On March 15, as Kleist’s vanguard appeared in front of the town of Schwerin, Zülow immediately retired to the Island of Kaninchenwerder with the small detachment forming the garrison. The Prussians could not prevent their retreat and the island was out of range of their artillery. Since Zülow had removed all boats from the banks of the lake, Kleist could not make a force landing on the island. Furthermore, the small number of men that he could impressed in Prussian rgts could not justify the losses that would be incurred in an attack.

There was not enough time for the Prussians to consider to blockade and starve the Mecklenburger troops. Indeed, Dohna had to keep all his troops together to react swiftly if the Russians advanced from the Vistula. Therefore, Kleist’s detachment had to withdraw after capturing a number of guns in Schwerin and impressing all servants of the ducal house as recruits for Prussian rgts. On his way, Kleist seized other artillery pieces in Rostock, despite outcries of the local magistrates. In this expedition, the Prussians had totally ignored the little fortress of Dömitz on the Elbe which also belonged to the Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

On March 23, Frederick wrote to Dohna to express his dissatisfaction concerning Kleist’s failure to bring back additional troops from Mecklenburg.

At the end of March on Frederick’s insistence, Dohna started to make preparations for the capture of Fort Peenemünde. Since Dohna was too sick to command, Frederick temporarily replaced him with Lieutenant-General von Manteuffel who knew this region very well, having been governor of Pomerania.

Manteuffel sent Major-General von Diericke with 4 bns (1 bn of Braunschweig-Bevern Infantry, 1 bn of Kanitz Infantry, and the 2 bns of Gabelentz Fusiliers) and some cavalry by way of Wolgast to the Island of Usedom.

On April 2, Grenadier Battalion Köller and the Pomeranian Converged Grenadier Battalion von Ingersleben arrived at Wolgast from Stettin to support the attack on Fort Peenemünde.

On April 4, Diericke blockaded Fort Peenemünde on the land side. He planned to launch the main attack from the island while a diversionary attack would be made from the coast of Pomerania.

On April 5

  • Prussians
    • The small Prussian flotilla was finally launched into the Lagoon of Stettin. Four large warships and four smaller armed ships sailed from Stettin to cruise the Baltic Sea in search of Russian and Swedish vessels. Their main task, however, was to interdict the mouths of the Oder to Swedish warships.
    • Dohna left Greifswald to sojourn in Berlin.

On April 6, heavy artillery (30 guns, 9 howitzers and 11 mortars) arrived from Stettin for the attack on Fort Peenemünde. This heavy artillery destined to the three batteries (two on the island and one on the coast opposite the fort) consisted of:

  • 3 x 24-pdr guns
  • 15 x 12-pdr guns
  • 12 x iron guns
  • 2 x 18-pdr howitzers
  • 7 x 7-pdr howitzers
  • 6 x 50-pdr mortars
  • 5 x 40-pdr mortars

Fort Peenemünde was defended by Captain von Röök with 300 men (form Hälsinge Infantry, Kronobergs Infantry and Österbottens Infantry). Captain Röök had been ordered to hold the poorly designed fort as long as possible, and then to nail the guns, destroy the ammunition and the defensive works, and retire with the garrison to the nearby Island of Ruden under cover of darkness. The Swedish galley fleet, which had left Stralsund at the end of March, had a number of flat-bottomed prams and boats ready to pick up the crew at night on an agreed signal. The very active Captain Röök had already begun to improve the defensive works of the fort. He was trying to complete these works before the Prussians could open fire. As soon as he saw that the Prussians were working on batteries, he started to bombard them.

On April 8, Major-General von Diericke summoned the garrison of Fort Peenemünde to surrender but Captain Röök refused. The Prussian battery located on a sandy hill on the beach to the northeast of the fort opened against the fortifications. Even though the artillery of the Swedish galley fleet tried to silence the Prussian batteries, the latter managed to destroy all the new defensive works before the end of the day.

By April 9, the Prussian battery located on the Pomeranian coast opposite Fort Peenemünde was ready and opened on the fort. Nevertheless, the Swedish garrison continued its stubborn resistance, even though its artillery pieces were being gradually destroyed. However, the garrison could not hold much longer and Captain Röök decided to evacuate the fort during the following night.

On the night of April 9 to 10, the high tide and the bright moonlight prevented Captain Röök from undertaking the planned evacuation of Fort Peenemünde.

On April 10, a third Prussian battery, located to the southeast of Fort Peenemünde joined in the bombardment. In the afternoon, a few lucky shots blew up in quick succession the defender's two powder magazines. The explosions killed 40 men and set the walls afire. Captain Röök was forced to accept an unconditional surrender.

On the night of April 10 to 11, the 11 officers and 224 men of the garrison of Fort Peenemünde surrendered as prisoners of war. In this siege, the Prussians had lost only a few men. They captured 29 guns and 4 mortars in the fort.

According to Frederick’s orders, Fort Peenemünde was razed as well as the fortifications of Anklam and Demmin. Only the city walls and gates of these two towns were left intact. Indeed, both places were not strong enough to resist for a long time without the protection of a field army. Therefore, their fortifications were worthless for an army which planned to soon leave Swedish Pomerania to march against the Russians. However, these towns could be useful to the Swedes as fortified bridgeheads.

On April 13, Diericke’s detachment rejoined Manteuffel’s Army while the Grenadier Battalion Köller and the Pomeranian Converged Grenadier Battalion von Ingersleben escorted the heavy artillery, the captured material and the prisoners back to Stettin.

Order of Battle
Detailed order of battle of Dohna’s Prussian Army around mid-April 1759.

The Prussians then ended their operations against the Swedes, preparing instead for the coming campaign against the Russians.

The Swedish army, now reduced to some 12,000 men, remained in its position behind the Peene. Lantingshausen created 2 bns from his existing troops to garrison Stralsund and Wolgast and to man his galley flotilla.

In May, Russia and Sweden prohibited commerce with Prussia.

By May 1, Manteuffel had advanced up to Greifswald while Kleist had been left behind at Schwerinsburg.

On May 12, Manteuffel lifted the blockade of the Fortress of Stralsund and assembled his army (about 24,000 men) at Greifswald to redirect its attention against the Russian operations against Brandenburg. Indeed, the Russian Army had wintered at Thorn (present-day Toruń) in Inner Poland and was about to advance towards Posen (present-day Poznań) thus threatening Brandenburg and Silesia.

By May 16, Manteuffel’s Army was assembled at Greifswald.

On May 17

On May 19, Manteuffel reached Schwerinsburg.

For many months, the Swedish Army and Kleist's Corps remained on their positions and no noticeable military action took place in this theatre of operation.

At the beginning of June, 18 Russian ships arrived at Stockholm. These ships effected a junction with a Swedish squadron near the island of Gotland. Since no British ship had showed up in the Baltic Sea, the Russo-Swedish squadron gave chase to Prussian merchant ships.

At the start of August, a Swedish galley flotilla under Carpelan advanced towards the Stettin Lagoon.

On August 8, the Swedish flotilla forced the defences of Peenemünde and penetrated the western half of the lagoon (Kleines Haff).

During the following days, the Swedish galley flotilla quickly became master of this part of the lagoon.

On August 13, after the disastrous Battle of Kunersdorf where the Prussian Army suffered very heavy losses, the observation corps of Kleist was recalled to reinforce Frederick's Army in Brandenburg. From this moment, Prussian tactic in Pomerania became more defensive relying mostly on ambushes. Above all, Prussian commanders wanted to prevent Swedish forces from making a coordinated attack with the Russians on the strong line of Prussian fortresses: Colberg, Stettin, Schwedt and Cüstrin.

Swedish Offensive

After Kleist departure, a Swedish corps (6,000 men) under Lantingshausen advanced from Stralsund towards Pasewalk on the Ucker while a second corps (4,000 men) under Fredrik Axel von Fersen, supported by the galley flotilla (4 galleys, 4 half-galleys, 1 bomb-galiot, 1 special galiot, 1 unarmed hospital ship, several barges, Hector gunboat and Achilles gunboat), was directed against the islands of Usedom and Wollin at the mouth of the Oder. The plan was to capture these two islands and then to enter in the eastern part of the Stettin Lagoon with the galley flotilla.

On August 18, Fersen's Corps was ferried from Wolgast to Usedom where he drove away some Prussian hussars, established a bridgehead and then brought his artillery.

On August 21, Fersen encamped at Kamminke. The Prussian detachment (450 men) on Usedom, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Prentz, concentrated in the unfortified town of Swinemünde (present-day Świnoujście) where it entrenched behind a palisade and a few redoubts. The same day, Lantingshausen crossed the Peene River marking the border between Swedish and Prussian Pomerania and occupied Demmin and Anklam.

On August 22, an engagement took place off Anklam between the two naval forces. The Swedes won this initial action.

On August 24, Fersen launched an attack on Swinemünde to test its defences.

On August 26, the Swedes took the Prussian harbour of Ückermünde where they confiscated 15 Prussian coastal vessels.

On August 27 at 4:00 a.m., the Swedish galley flotilla and the artillery opened against the palisade and redoubts of Swinemünde. Soon after, the Swedish Drottningens Livregemente and the Meijerfelt Grenadiers, under the command of Major Anrep, assaulted the town, covered by Åboläns Infantry and Västgöta Horse. The Swedes were soon master of the town, capturing Lieutenant-Colonel Prentz, 80 men and 4 guns. However, part of the Prussian defenders managed to take refuge in the "West Redoubt" which Fersen was forced to besiege in forms.

Fersen planted 2 gun batteries (4 and 6 guns respectively), one mortar battery (2 pieces) and one howitzer battery (2 pieces) around the "West Redoubt" of Swinemünde.

On September 1, the Swedish batteries opened on the "West Redoubt" of Swinemünde.

On September 2, the Prussian force defending the "West Redoubt" of Swinemünde surrendered. The Swedes captured Major Menardier, about 400 men and 12 guns. Early in the morning of the same day, a squadron of Prussian hussars along with a couple of infantry companies with 2 field guns surprised a Swedish reconnaissance party (100 hussars, 100 free corps infantry and 80 jägers for a total of 280 men) conducted by Major Johan Psilanderhjelm near Pasewalk, cutting their road of retreat. Psilanderhjelm with 80 hussars and jägers swam to Pasewalk across the Ücker River. Almost 200 men were taken prisoner because Psilanderhjelm had neglected to guard the bridge on the Ücker.

On September 3, Fersen turned his attention to the fortifications across the Swine, bombarded them and set them afire. The Prussian defenders were forced to evacuate this position.

On September ?, Lantingshausen, hunting for revenge, launched a surprise attack on Löcknitz, located between Pasewalk and Stettin, capturing more than 100 Prussians.

On September 4, Fersen planned to have troops ferried across the Swine at Kaseburg but the Prussians reacted promptly to this attempt and the enterprise was abandoned.

On September 10, the Swedish flotilla (28 vessels) led by captain-lieutenant Carl Ruthensparre, penetrated into the eastern part of the Stettin lagoon and attacked the Prussian flotilla (12 vessels). During the ensuing combat of Neuwarp, the Swedes annihilated the small Prussian flotilla. The Swedes were now master of the entire Stettin lagoon at the mouth of the Oder, thus isolating the Prussian forces defending the island of Wollin.

On September 12, the Prussian detachment on the Island of Wollin retired to the town of Wollin (present-day Wolin). In the evening, 4 Swedish bns landed between Plötzin (present-day Płocin) and Soldemin (present-day Sułomino) on the Island of Wollin.

On September 13, the rest of Fersen's Corps was ferried from Swinemünde to the Island of Wollin. Fersen soon concentrated his corps in front of the fortified town of Wollin which was defended by Land Militia Battalion Nr. 4 Watzmer and one battalion of Garrison Regiment Nr. I Puttkammer, totalling some 600 men, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Schafstädt.

On September 15, Fersen launched Åboläns Infantry and Meijerfelt Grenadiers against the Prussian outposts, forcing their defenders to retire to the town of Wollin.

On September 16, after a preparation of artillery, Fersen launched 5 columns against the walls of Wollin:

Meanwhile, a few half-galleys advanced up the Divenow but soon became immobilized and played no part in the action. The attacks on the Wicker Gate, the Amthaus and the bridge were all successful and the Prussian defenders were forced to surrender. In this action, the Swedes lost 1 officer and 14 privates killed and 7 officers, 4 NCOs and 95 privates wounded while the Prussians lost 1 lieutenant-colonel, 1 major, 9 captains, 19 NCOs and 651 privates taken prisoners and 29 guns captured.

Learning of the capture of Wollin, the Prussian despatched the Pomeranian Land Militia Battalion Nr. 10 to Hagen to oppose them.

On September ??, now that the Russian army was no more a threat for Brandenburg, Frederick II instructed Lieutenant-General Manteuffel to return to Pomerania with 9 bns and 10 sqns (Belling Hussars, Meinicke Dragoons, Frei-Infanterie von Hordt, 7 bns of convalescents).

On October 1, Fersen quitted the Oder islands with most of his corps, leaving the Volunteers (detachments of Skaraborgs Infantry and Västmanlands Infantry) and a battalion of Jönköpings Infantry to defend the islands. The Swedish galley flotilla remained stationed in the Stettin Lagoon. Fersen then marched to Pasewalk where he made a junction with Lantingshausen's main Swedish army.

The garrison of Stettin (1,400 men), under the command of Horn, made an unsuccessful attempt against Lantingshausen's Army who had taken position at Pasewalk.

Lantingshausen sent his vanguard up to Prenzlau into the Uckermark, levying heavy contributions, while a Swedish corps pushed the Prussian garrison of Stettin back behind the Löcknitz.

Swedish Retreat

In mid October, Manteuffel's Corps arrived at Pasewalk. He sent Major Knobelsdorf at the head of 1 bn of Frei-Infanterie von Hordt and 100 hussars behind the Swedish lines.

On the morning of October 22, when the gates of Demmin were opened, Knobelsdorf launched a surprise attack on the town which was defended by only 60 men of Posseska Infantry under the command of Captain Kjell Kristoffer Baron Barnekow and Lieutenant Ehrencrona. The small garrison threw itself into houses and bravely defended itself for an hour, losing 25 men dead or wounded, and was finally forced to surrender. The Swedish hussar who was supposed to warn the garrison of the approach of Knobelsdorf's force had gotten drunk on his way and had been captured by the Prussians. Knobelsdorf seized the Swedish war chest and retired to Malchin closely followed by Swedish light troops commanded by Wrangel and Sprengtporten.

On October 25, Wrangel and Sprengtporten forced their way across the Peene at Mühlentor where they drove back 60 Prussian infantry supported by 2 field guns. The Swedes tried to break the gate of Malchin by artillery fire and axes. Finally, the brave Second-Lieutenant Fredrik Rydell climbed over the town wall and opened the gate from behind. Von Knobelsdorf overestimated the size of the Swedish force and started a retreat in all haste, leaving 100 men of Frei-Infanterie von Hordt as a rearguard in a churchyard in an attempt to slow down the Swedish advance. When Wrangel and Sprengtporten pushed through the central parts of Malchin and surrounded the enemy troop in the churchyard and forced them to give up the fight. In this engagement, the Swedes lost Sprengtporten wounded at the left shoulder (he had to go home to Sweden to heal his wound), Second-Lieutenant Anders Illström of Dalarnas Infantry heavily wounded, Lieutenant Vestfelt of Västgöta Cavalry lightly wounded, 8 soldiers killed or wounded. After the engagement, 200 Prussians deserted to Loitz and Tribsees on the Swedish side of the Peene river.

After this raid, the Swedish Army retired to Anklam, harassed by Belling Hussars.

By November 6, the Swedish Army was deployed behind the Peene.

By the end of November, the Swedish Army had retired from Demmin, Anklam, Usedom and Wollin and concentrated at Greifswald.

The contingent of Mecklenburg wintered in the island of Rügen.

Swedish cantonments

The commander of the Swedish field army, General Jacob Albrekt Lantingshausen, and his second-in-command, Lieutenant-General Fredrik Axel von Fersen established their headquarters in Greifswald. Swedish troops took their cantonments as follows (from west to east):

The Jönköpings Infantry (6 coys) under Colonel Karl Fredrik Pechlin encamped on the Island of Usedom, with 40 men in advanced positions in the town of Wohlgast.

The Swedish Artillery had built redoubts in various locations, especially at important river crossings.


  • Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763
    • Vol. 8 Zorndorf und Hochkirch, Berlin, 1910, pp. 346-350
    • Vol. 9 Bergen, Berlin, 1911, pp. 18, 231-239, 244
    • Vol. 10 Kunersdorf, Berlin, 1912, p. 97, 308
  • Jomini, baron de, Traité des grandes opérations militaires, Vol. 3, 2nd ed., Magimel, Paris, 1811, pp. 66-67, 84, 97, 109, 135,
  • O'Hara, Danny, Eighteenth Century Wargaming Resources On-Line
  • Säve, Teofron Sveriges deltagande i Sjuåriga Kriget Åren 1757-1762, Beijers Bokförlagsaktiebolag, Stockholm, 1915
  • Sharman, Alistair, Sweden's Role in the Seven Years War: A Brief Chronology 1756-1761, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. XII No. 4
  • Wilson, Peter, Swedish Mobilization and Strategy, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. X No. 1
  • Wilson, Peter, The Campaign in Pomerania 1757-1762, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. X No. 1


Gunnar W. Bergman for additional information on this campaign and on Swedish cantonments in November and December 1759