Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> French Navy >> Couronne (74)
Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by B. Geslain in Rochefort (France) in 1749. She was launched in 1749.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1756: marquis de Saint-Aignan
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship participated to the amphibious expedition against Minorca. On May 20, she took part to the battle of Minorca against admiral Byng's squadron where a French fleet prevented him to bring reinforcement to Fort St. Philip in Mahon.
|Length||167' (54.24 m) in French feet|
|Width||44' (14.32 m)|
|Depth||22' 7" (7.24 m)|
|Displacement||1750 tons (1587 metric tons)|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 291-295
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VI, Paris, 1891, pp. 3-19
Unknown author, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780