Graf Brühl Chevauxlegers
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1733 under its commander Colonel Sibilski and immediately sent to Poland. It consisted of 2 squadrons formed with troopers contributed by various regiment of the Saxon Army.
During the War of the Polish Succession, in 1733, the regiment served in Poland along with Colonel Vitzthum von Eckstädt's Mounted Jägers they engaged in numerous ‘coups’, especially threatening Greater Poland during the siege of Danzig. In 1735, the regiment was increased to 4 squadrons and designated as Chevauxlegers.
At the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment consisted of 8 coys. It took part in the campaigns of 1742, 1744 and 1745. On December 13 1745, along with some Uhlanen, it charged the Prussian rearguard near Lommatsch and Zehren, capturing 3 standards and 2 pairs of silver kettle drums. The commanding Prussian General von Röhl was killed during this affair.
Organisation during the Seven Years' War
In 1756 the regiment consisted of 8 coys formed in 4 squadrons for a total book strength of some 762 men.
The successive Chefs of the regiment were:
- since 1733: Colonel Sibilski, Baron von Wolfsberg
- from 1748: General Count Brühl (died in 1763)
- from 1763: Colonel Hans Moritz Count Brühl
- from 1764: Lieutenant-general Count Renard (resigned in 1778)
During the Seven Years' War, the Kommandeur of the regiment was:
- since 1753: Colonel von Gößnitz (died as lieutenant-general in 1763)
- from 1763: Colonel von Diepow (died in 1771)
Service during the War
In 1756, during the invasion of Saxony by the Prussians, the regiment was stationed in Poland. It thus avoided the fate of the Saxon units captured at Pirna who were forcefully incorporated into the Prussian service.
In 1757, the regiment served with the Austrian army, a situation which persisted till the end of the war. On June 18, the regiment took part to the battle of Kolin. It was deployed in the first line of the extreme right wing in Morocz division. At the end of the afternoon, as the Wied's Austrian division was wavering in front of Hülsen and Tresckow attacks, the Saxon Chevaux-légers along with the Ligne Dragoons and the Kommandierten cavalry fell of the right flank on the exposed Prussian corps. They broke Hülsen's cavalry and thrown his infantry into confusion. Wied's infantry division rallied and the Austrian and Saxon cavalry attacked again. Hülsen's infantry was broken and formed squares. After a short fight, the Austrians captured 14 Prussian battalions along with all their guns, as well as 9 colours. On September 7, when general Nádasdy attacked Winterfeldt's corps isolated at Moys, the regiment was deployed in the second line of the right wing under major-general Gosenitz. In October and November, the regiment was present at the siege of Schweidnitz where it was deployed from the Stream of Weistrity (Bystrzyca) to Zülzendorf (Sulislawice). On November 22, the regiment took part to the battle of Breslau where it was deployed in the second line of the cavalry left wing of Nádasdy's Corps. On December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, the regiment was part of the cavalry vanguard detached at Borne under marshal Nostitz which was attacked and driven back on the Austrian right wing by the Prussian vanguard.
In early May 1758, during the Prussian invasion of Moravia, the regiment was part of the cavalry corps of De Ville which had taken position at Wolschan (present-day Olšany). On May 5, Frederick advanced against this corps, forcing it to retire beyond the defile of Predlitz.
In early June 1760, the regiment was attached to Lacy's Corps operating on the east bank of the Elbe. On September 17, the regiment was present at the combat of Hochgiersdorf. In October, part of this corps, including this regiment, conducted a raid on Berlin. In Charlottenburg, the regiment smashed the furniture and doors, cut the pictures, maltreated people and overset Polignac collection of antiques and classicalities. On November 3, it took part in the bloody battle of Torgau.
On October 29 1762, the regiment took part in the battle of Freiberg where it was deployed under Mayern on the extreme left wing of the Austrian Main Army.
The uniform depicted in this section is inspired by an illustration from a 1756 manuscript of the Deutsches Historisches Museum in Berlin.
|Waistcoat||light blue with white buttons|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols and a musket.
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the officers
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the musicians
To do: brief textual description of flags
Colonel Flag: ???
Regimental Flag: ???
Geschichte und gegenwärtiger Zustand der Kursächsischen Armee. [History and present state of the Saxon Army.] 2nd edition, part IX, Dresden 1793.
Kronoskaf - Project SYW, Various articles on the campaigns, sieges and battles of the war