Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by Chapelle in Toulon (France) in 1748. She was launched in 1749.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1756: Trogné de l'Éguille
The ship surrendered to the British Royal Navy off Cape de Gata on February 28 1758.
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship participated to the amphibious expedition against Minorca. On May 20, she took part to the battle of Minorca against admiral Byng's squadron where a French fleet prevented him to bring reinforcement to Fort St. Philip de Mahon.
In February 1758, naval operations in the Mediterranean had resumed and a French squadron under M. de La Clue, on its way for America, had been forced into the harbour Cartagena by a larger British squadron under admiral Osborn who then blockaded the harbour. The Orphée was part of a relief squadron under M. Duquesne. On February 28, off Cape de Gata, she was engaged by the Revenge (64) supported by the Berwick (70) and Preston (50). She was soon forced to strike.
|Length||146 ft (47.42 m) French feet|
|Width||40 ft (12.99 m)|
|Depth||19 ft (6.20 m)|
|Displacement||1200 tons (1089 metric tons)|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 291-295
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VI, Paris, 1891, pp. 3-19
Unknown author, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.