Plötz Cuirassiers

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Saxon Army >> Plötz Cuirassiers

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on October 14, 1704 as the Dragoon Regiment von Wrangel.

In 1717, the regiment incorporated men from the Siegmund von Brause Dragoons.

In 1748, the regiment was amalgamated with the Minkwitz Cuirassiers to create a new cuirassier regiment.

Since its creation, the successive Chefs of the regiment were:

  • from 1704: Colonel Burchard von Wrangel
  • from 1711: Lieutenant-General Wolf Heinrich von Baudissin
  • from 1717: Colonel Wichmann Baron von Klingenberg
  • from 1729: Chevalier de Saxe
  • from 1740: Franz von Pirch
  • from 1744: Lieutenant-General Christian von Plötz (appointed governor of Leipzig in 1763)
  • from 1764: Major-General Karl von Brenckenhoff-Schönenberg

From the time of the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the effective command of:

  • from 1745: Colonel Nikolaus Gottlob von Ponikau
  • from 1752: Lieutenant-Colonel Georg Karl von Driberg
  • from 1763: von Petersdorf
  • from 1765 Johann Gottlieb von Bülow

Service during the War

At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under the Fürst von Anhalt, as part of von Ronnow's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The regiment was disbanded and its troops distributed among Prussian cuirassier regiments, mainly Gens d'Armes, Prinz von Preußen, Driesen, Markgraf Friedrich and Leib-Carabiniers.

Uniform

Privates

Cuirassier in "kollet" in 1756 - Copyright Kronoskaf
Trooper of the Plötz Cuirassiers in 1756 - Copyright: Franco Saudelli and Dr Marco Pagan
Uniform Details
Headgear black tricorne laced gold with a white cockade fastened with a small yellow button; one green bob in each lateral corne
Neckstock black
Coat white lined green with 6 yellow buttons (arranged 1-2-3) down to the waist on each side; 3 yellow buttons under the waist on the right side
Collar green
Shoulderknot n/a
Lapels none
Cuffs green, each with 3 yellow buttons arranged vertically
Turnbacks green
Waistcoat buff leather kollet edged with a green braid with a yellow stripe; no button (fastened with hooks and eyes)

a green waistcoat was worn under the kollet

Breeches buff
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt n/a
Waistbelt natural leather with a brass buckle
Cartridge Box n/a
Scabbard black with brass fittings
Footgear black boots with white knee covers
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth ???
Sabretache ???
Blanket roll ???


Troopers were armed with ???.

Officers

 To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the officers

Musicians

 To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the musicians

Standards

Leibstandarte: white damask field heavily embroidered in gold with silver piping, centre device consisting of a gold shield of ornate design carrying the Royal Polish arms (white eagles and white knights on a red field) and on the centre the arms of Saxony beneath the electoral hat, surmounted by a crimson royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. Fringe in gold (buttons color) and green (distinctive color = Russian green).

Ordinarstandarte: green (Russian green) damask field heavily embroidered in gold with silver piping; centre device consisting of the golden royal cipher "AR" on a white pedestal surmounted by a royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. Fringe in crimson red and gold (buttons color).

The first squadron carried the white colonel (Leib) standard while the 3 other squadrons each carried one ordonnance standard.

References

Schuster/Francke: Geschichte der Sächsischen Armee, file I. Leipzig 1885.

Verlohren: Stammregister und Chronik der Kur-und Königlich Sächsischen Armee, Leipzig, 1910

Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms & Flags of the Seven Years War. Researched by M.Lange and A. Sharman. Compiled by R.D. Pengel. Artwork by G.R. Hurt. Birmingham, 1981.

Acknowledgements

Harald Skala for additional information on the origin and history of this regiment