Origin and History
Graf (Count) Wilhelm zu Schaumburg-Lippe raised a corps of artillery (initially 109 men) in his principality in 1752; no costs were spared on its training, equipment and weaponry. The artillery officer Roemer made his reputation in the Seven Years War as one of the leading engineers of this corps. Other prominent officers included Major Claude-Henri du Dufresnoy, Stork, Wieting and Bramayer.
The regimental inhaber was:
- since 1752: Count Wilhelm zu Schaumburg Lippe
Service during the War
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, the corps took the field with the Allied army and eventually grew to have between 300 and 400 men (including the train), with 29 3-pdr, four 8-pdr, two 12-pdr, three 18-pdr cannon, three howitzers and four heavy mortars. Other guns were left in Bückeburg arsenal.
In 1759, the corps was detached to the Hessian Brigade. By then, there were nine 3-pdrs with the grenadier battalions, eight 6-pdrs and ten 12-pdrs with the battery and the artillery park. In June 1759, the regiment was part of the Allied Main Army under the command of the Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On August 1, the regiment took part in the Battle of Minden where part of it was deployed in the first line of the 6th column under Major-general von Toll and the other part, in Wangenheim's Corps between Kutenhausen and the Weser, in the first line of the infantry centre, escorted by the battalion of Schaumburg-Lippe-Bückeburg Infantry.
In 1760 and 1761, the principality also provided sixteen 1-pdr falconets, two with each infantry company, a total of 28 pieces, well horsed and manned; this was a major effort.
By 1761, the park included six 3-pdr and four 12-pdr cannon, two 8-pdr and four 30-pdr howitzers. The artillery of the principality thus included all the calibres of the artillery of the major states.
On June 24 1762, the corps took part in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal.
Description of the uniform of 1762 based on Wilmans' document kept in the Staatsarchiv Bückeburg. Several authors, including Richard Knötel, depict a light blue uniform. This is a common error, because the light blue artillery uniform appeared in an 18th century French tableau. The archives of the Duke of Schaumburg-Lippe in Bückeburg contain a manuscript source written in 1762 which shows dark blue artillery uniforms (dark blue coat and breeches). This manuscript is entitled:
M. Wilmans: Anciennete von Seiner Hoch-Reichs-Gräflichen Erlauchten! des Regierenden Herrn Graffen zur Schaumburg-Lippe, und Sternberg, Ritter des Königl-Preushen Grossen-Ordens, von Schwarzen Adler! General en Chef Seiner Königl. Maj. von Portugal Combinirten Armée, Infanterie Regiment, Grenadier-Garde, Carabenier zu Pferd, und Jäger zu Füss, imgleichen Artillerie, wie auch Ingenieur, und Mineur-Corps; Benebst denen Fahnen-Divisen, und Uniform. Bückeburg den 12. Juny 1762. Staatsarchiv Bückeburg au F 1 A XXXV 18 Nr 73.
|Coat||dark blue with pewter buttons
Artillerymen carried carbines on brown slings.
NCOs wore the same uniform as privates with the following distinctions:
- double silver braids edging the cuffs
Officiers wore a gorget.
No particulars known.
The 12-pounders were crewed by 16 men each, the 6-pounders by 12 and the 3-pounders by eight men each. Apart from this, each piece had one or two bombardiers. The 12-pounders had twelve-horse teams, the 6-pounder six, the 3-pounders had three and each ammunition wagon had a six-horse team.
The gun barrels were designed by Count Wilhelm himself and were recognized as being of high quality. The 12-pounder had an internal barrel length of 21 calibres and a powder charge of four pounds, which, at an elevation of 1,5 degrees, reached a range of 880 paces.
The 1-pound falconet also had a barrel length of 21 calibres, fired a lead ball of 14 Loth (1 Loth = 1/2 ounce), with a charge of 10 Loth and at an elevation of 1,5 degrees, it reached a range of 550 paces. With an elevation of 2 1/2 degrees, the range increased to 750 paces and with 4 1/2 degrees it increased to 1060 paces.
Count Wilhelm also designed his own artillery regulations and the crews were well trained by shooting at targets. On one occasion, the count had invited several Hanoverian officers to lunch in the field; he ordered his gunners to fire at the flag on top of the tent in which they were dining. The first shot was a little high, the subsequent shots all went through the top of the marquee at the same height.
It is also recorded that Count Wilhelm acted as his own gun commander in some of the battles of the Seven Years War and duelled with the opposing artillery. He also conducted artillery field training exercises on the banks of Lake Steinhude (northeast of Minden) and the training of the artillery together with infantry and cavalry. He also laid great emphasis on the tactical cooperation between the infantry battalions and their light pieces.
Count Wilhelm also wrote the pamphlet, Nouveau systeme de tactique, in which he emphasised that a force of 400 - 600 infantry, operating with their light guns, would be able successfully to defend themselves against large bodies of enemy cavalry.
The famous Scharnhorst, then an ensign in Count Wilhelm's artillery, wrote: “The annual exercises, field training manoeuvres, the building of defensive field fortifications, artillery drills, etc. were training for him and his officers, experiments in the basic rules of the use of artillery, tactics and the attack.”
From 1762, Count Wilhelm also spent some years serving in Portugal, reforming their army and artillery.
The ducal military academy was located in Schloss Wilhelmstein, a tiny island in Lake Steinhude and was highly regarded by many of the leading European military men. The fortress was built between 1761 and 1765.
In 1770, the count produced the instructional manuals for this academy. No student was accepted into this institute unless he had spent time as a cadet in the Count's artillery corps, gathering practical experience.
The syllabus in this academy included artillery ballistics, military and civil engineering, mathematics, physics, draftsmanship, general and military history, practical geometry, geography, tactics and languages.
Ethics were also included. The theoretical knowledge gained was reinforced with practical experiments such as making fireworks, building mines and defensive works. The casting of gun barrels was also taught.
All the instructors were artillery officers. Periodic examinations were set, diplomas and medals awarded for the appropriate performance.
Director of this academy was Major St-Etienne, a French officer. In 1776, Count Wilhelm had trained so many successful artillery officers, that he was able to send 16 of them to Portugal, to assist in the reforms of their artillery.
This article is essentially a translation by Digby Smith of a section of the following book which is now in the public domain:
- Wiessenbach, Stack von; Regierender Graf Wilhelm zu Schaumburg-Lippe, bezueglich seine Leistungen als Artillerist, insbesondereim Siebenjaehrigen Krieg, Ludwigsburg 1884.
Knötel, R., Uniformkunde, Lose Blätter zur Geschichte der Entwicklung der militärischen Tracht, Rathenow, 1890-1921, Vol. XV, Plate 36, Schaumburg-Lippe-Bückeburg. Jäger, Grenadier, Musketier, Bombardier, Ingenieur. 1765.
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.