Svyatoy Ioann Zlatoust Vtoroy (66)
Origin and History
The ship was built by I. Ramburg (И. Рамбург) at the Admiralty shipyard in St. Petersburg. The keel was laid down on October 12 1747 (October 1 old style, abbreviated O.S. in this article). She was launched on May 29 (May 18 O.S.). She was attached to the Fleet of the Baltic Sea.
When the larger second rate ship Svyatoy Ioann Zlatoust (80) was launched in 1751, the larger ship was named Svyatoy Ioann Zlatoust Perviy (the First) and the smaller one – Svyatoy Ioann Zlatoust Vtoroy (the Second).
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1757: Captain A. M. Davydov (А.М. Давыдов)
The ship was broken up in 1759 in Kronshtadt.
Service during the War
On June 11 1757 (May 31 O.S.), the ship, as part of a squadron under Admiral Z. D. Mishukov (З.Д. Мишуков), sailed from Kronshtadt to blockade the Prussian coasts. From July 12 (July 1 O.S.), she was part of a squadron who cruised near Pillau to observe enemy ships. On August 1 (July 22 O.S.), she joined the main fleet at Danzig. On August 19 (August 8 O.S.), she left Danzig with the squadron sailing to Sweden and on September 28 (September 17 O.S.) finally arrived at Kronshtadt.
In 1758 the ship was considered unfit to sail and her crew was transferred to other ships.
The design of most Russian ships of the line of this period still adhered tightly to the Shipbuilding Regulations issued by Peter the Great in 1723.
|Crew||no information found|
|Length at gun deck||47.40 m (155' 6”)|
|Width||12.65 m (41' 6”)|
|Depth in Hold||5.48 m (18'0”)|
|Displacement||approx. 1,200 metric tons|
Ministry of the Sea - Material for the History of the Russian Navy, vol 10, St. Petersburg, 1883 in a collection of 17 volumes published from 1865 to 1904
Veselago, Fedosey Fedorovich: List of Russian Naval Vessels from 1668 to 1869, St. Petersburg: Ministry of the Sea, 1872
Chernyshev, A. A.: Russian Sailing Fleet, Vol. 1
Shirokorad, A. B.: 200 лет парусного флота (200 Years of Sailing Fleet)
Roman Shlygin for the initial version of this article